Monday 15 May 2023

Hello, from Number 28 to Number 14"

A new neighbour moved in, a little across the way, at number 14.

I am at number 28.

It's peaceful around here, really peaceful, but the ways our little boxes are designed, our best views are to the rear. That way, you can safely turn around and say, "I saw nothing" with honesty, on the very rare few occasions we do get asked. Which statistically now I think of it is more times than ever before, in my life.

Sometimes they move out, you didn't even see the hearse arrive, sometimes they move in, you don't see them; you never see them leave. You know when there are drapes in the window, and when there are not.

So when another secret eloper arrived, I gave it little heed. Didn't see the previous incumbent arrive or leave and never did find out why they had police outside for 24 hours. "Just here", they said. I offered them the use of my facilities and a hot drink if they required, "It's me, over at Number 28..."

The new neighbour and I have caught sight of each other occasionally, which usually means we are both leaving our front doors with a reason to go somewhere, so we are civil and nod, wave, maybe say, "Good morning" and that has been it.

Happened again tonight, although we did graduate to, "How are you?"

I dropped a note through their door tonight apologising for my silly ability to be a nice person once you get to know me, on balance (opinion varies), and stated my name, and my awkward social shyness, and said, "Hello, from number 28, to number 14".

In a way, I hope every exchange herein is just "Hello, from 28 to 14, or hello, from 14 to 28".

Wouldn't that be a perfect world?

No comments: